Friday, November 29, 2013

November 28th - Thanksgiving Day!

Well, we made it through the week and to the big day.  And what a great day it turned out to be.  Because I had worked so hard yesterday getting everything prepped, my morning was really easy.  I just put the black-eyed peas on the stove to coo, the green beans into the crockpot and turned it on, and the giblets on the stove to simmer.  I stuffed the turkey, which was easy since the dressing was already made.  Then set it back in the frig until it was time to put it in the oven.  I got the frozen rolls out of the freezer and into the muffin pan to thaw and rise.  Everything else was ready to go at whatever time was needed, which was mostly within the hour of dinner.

Then I just relaxed the rest of the morning.  The kids arrived about 1:00, bringing more food and lots of chaos!  I got the rest of my stuff cooking and Lisa got her things together and cooked, where needed.  We got the table set (oops, I had meant to do that yesterday, too.)  They had brought some snacks, so everyone else sat around munching and talking and watching TV.

When things were about ready, we put David to work carving the turkey and Lisa and I got everything dished up and out on the table.  It wasn't much past 2:00 when we were able to sit down to eat.  Brooks had been so tired that he was taking his nap.  Ashby had eaten so many snacks that she only ate a few bites before going in to play in the other room.  Which actually gave the rest of us a very relaxed and fun dinner!

When we finally left the table, Lisa and I divided up the leftovers and got everything put away, while Bill tackled cleaning up the kitchen.  That all took a little time, but it turned out to be just enough so that we were ready to dive into all those pies Lisa had brought - pecan, pumpkin and apple.  So good!

We spent the rest of the day and evening just hanging out, relaxing, having fun.  Eventually, Bill went up into the attic and got all the Christmas boxes down.  David is going to decorate their house and we gave them one of the big containers of lights, since we will not be doing that much decorating.  We still have two containers, so I think we have more than we need!

In the process of getting all the containers down, Ashby saw a box with the ceramic nativity set.  It is the largest of all my sets and was a gift from a niece some years ago.  Ashby was so sweet when she came up and said, "Grandma, I know when I was three I broke the baby Jesus, but......"  She looked so sorry and I could read her mind!  I told her she could play with it if we put it somewhere that Brooks would not get it.  We went into the dining room and put it on that table and she played with it most of the rest of the evening.  She especially loves the baby Jesus, because he is a separate piece and not just part of the manger piece, so she can hold him in her hand.

They finally left to head home around 9:00.  It has been a perfect Thanksgiving Day - food, family and fun!  I am thankful for so many wonderful things.

No comments: