Tuesday, January 29, 2013

January 28th - Bishop's Storehouse

I got up early, picked up a friend, and headed down to the bishop's storehouse to volunteer this morning.  Our ward gets assignments a couple of times a year and it had been a long time since I had gone.  We spent the morning working very hard, filling bins with orders that will be delivered by truck to outlying areas of the southeast.  It was very busy all morning, with a lot of walk-ins.  People who live in the Atlanta area have to come to the storehouse themselves to get their orders.  Those further out get theirs at a local stake building or ward chapel after the truck delivers them.  It is sad to see how many people are in need right now.  And this was not an unusually busy day - it has become the norm.  I am glad we were able to help out and we actually had a lot of fun along the way.

I also picked up the group storage order while I was there.  The person in charge works at the same facility, in another department, so she brought the stuff with her and I was able to pick it up before we left.  That saved me another long trip to pick up the order.

In the afternoon, I made a quick run to the library, as there were three things ready for me to pick up and I had a couple of items to return.  One of them was the RS book group book for March, Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah.  I even started reading it tonight, as I had just a little to finish on my previous book.  I think it is going to be a really good read.

I also took a nap, as I was so tired from my hard work all morning.  I didn't even get home until 1:30 or so.  I think I am getting too old to work so hard!  I also got in a little bit of family history in the evening - not much, but a little. 

It is always a good day when serving others - and this was a good day.


No comments: