Tuesday, March 26, 2013

March 25th - Haircut Misery and Finding Glauco!

Pretty much a regular Monday morning, but a little lazier at first with the nasty weather still here.  Once I finished the usual house and other stuff, I dove right into the family history problem list.  I worked most of the day on that and checked off maybe one name on the list.  It just takes a while to go back and look at all documents, do further research, and try to figure out what is the correct information.

Around noon, I took off to do some errands.  First of which was to get my haircut.  I have been saying that I am going to get it cut short again, but I don't think this stylist wanted to cut it!  I explained what I wanted and she proceeded to cut.  When she was "finished," I pulled it up on top and said, "It is still long.  I want it short."  She had to cut it again and this time she cut a lot more.  When she was finished the second time, I had to tell her the sides didn't look finished, they needed to be cut more.  I finally gave in and said it was fine.  In truth, it is still longer than I wanted it to be.  So I will probably have to get it cut again in a week or two.  She didn't really do a bad cut, she just wouldn't listen to what I was saying.

I also made a stop at CVS for some sale items and at the library to drop off and pick up some books.  When Bill got home, he wanted to go to the library to pick up another book on CD, and I went back with him.  I had two more books to return (forgot them the first trip) and I wanted to pick up some books on CD for my trip to Iowa next week (forgot that the first trip, too.  I think I was still irritated about the haircut!)

The rest of the day was on family history.  I got really ambition for dinner and we had tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.

During the evening, I was checking FB and had a friend request from a young man who had been an exchange student who lived with us in 1973 or 1974.  He keeps disappearing and then I go a few years and he reappears.  It was great to reconnect with him.  He is from Brazil and had his 15th birthday while with us.  His family was catholic, but he wanted to go to church with us.  We had offered to make sure he made his services, but he wasn't interested.  He loved the ward (We lived in Cocoa, Florida then) and his parents wrote us that they were thrilled that he was thinking of spiritual things, which he had not done before.  He went back home to finish schooling and then wanted to come to the US for college.  His parents were hesitant (US college campuses in the late 70's had a lot of turmoil!)  We sent information about BYU and his parents loved it and let him go there.  He enjoyed the status of a non-member at BYU for the four years he was there, but was baptized right at the end.  Bottom line, his brother joined the church, served a mission, and has been a bishop twice.  His daughter served a mission to Brazil and has recently married in the temple.  His oldest son is currently on a mission in Mexico.  Last time we saw Glauco, was when Lisa was at BYU and we went out for her graduation.  He was a professor at BYU at that time.  Then we lost him again.  He has since taught in Taiwan, India, and several other places around the world.  He is now back in the US at Arkansas.  It was fun catching up with him.  Maybe we won't lose him again - at least as long as he stays active on FB!

No comments: