Tuesday, February 19, 2013

February 18th - Empty Nesters

This has been a whirlwind day - busy, busy, busy!  That's good, but I have to admit I kind of like the lazy ones!

In the morning, I had to get the house cleaned up since Empty Nesters Family Home Evening was here this evening.  There was the usual "left over from Sunday" mess to deal with, plus a little extra so we wouldn't be embarrassed about the way thinks looked.  Since the theme was around Valentine's Day, I also dug out the valentine decorations for the table.  I know, Valentine's Day was actually last week and why didn't I have things out already??  Just never got around to it, to tell the truth.  Anyway, I hung the heart wreath on the door and decorated the dining table.  I had picked up valentine plates and cups at the Dollar Store last time I was there.  It ended up looking really nice and I had several comments on how pretty the table was.

I also had do a run to the library to return a book due today, plus another that I had finished, and to pick up another that has come in.  Then I got a haircut - badly needed!  My final stop was at the grocery store to pick up something for refreshments.  At least we do pot luck, so I only had to get a little.  I bought some frozen spanakopita (Greek filo pastries filled with a spinach and feta cheese mixture) and some frozen cream puffs. 

During my breaks all day, I worked on my next RS lesson.  It will be chapter 3 of Daughters in My Kingdom and is a really powerful chapter.  The biggest problem is picking out what to use and what to skip since a 25 minute lesson isn't long enough for everything!  I asked one of the sisters in our group to tell one of the stories, preferably in the first person.  Still much more to plan on that.

FHE was a lot of fun.  Since it was around the theme of Valentine's Day, everyone had been asked to bring one or two poems.  They could be love poems, funny, serious, whatever.  It was actually a lot of fun as we went around and everyone read the poem they had chosen.  It turned out to be a great evening.  Of course, the food is always a big part and the table was "heavily laden" with some very good stuff!  We also love the socializing, which is really the whole point in the first place.

When everyone left, it only took a few minutes to get things cleaned up.  By then, it was time for bed and a little time reading.  I am making my way through the D&C at a pretty good pace just reading a section or two each evening.  Then I read whatever book is on the top of my stack until I am ready to go to sleep.

So today was very busy - and a lot of fun!

No comments: