Friday, May 23, 2014

May 22nd - Ashby and Brooks Spend the Day

Lisa called early this morning and said she had a list of errands to run and that the children wanted to come to Grandma's house to play in the sprinkler.  Would that be OK?  Excuse me, would that be OK? - Uh, Yes!

I worked on family history until they got here mid-morning.  I had a pile of documents and things to file in the Person file that I worked on yesterday.  I ended up having to make a few more files, as the docs went back another generation in several cases.  I got a good bit done, though, before I got interrupted.

The kids came dressed in their swimsuits, all ready to attack the sprinkler.  They had a ball.  We were out there all morning and then some.  The playhouse had some spider webs and was pretty dirty inside, so we also hosed it down really good and got it cleaned up a little.  They ended up playing in there a good bit, too.  Eventually, they wanted a pool, which we don't have, but a couple of plastic bins (the short kind for under a bed) worked perfectly.  They had three of them lined up like a train and with the hose going and Brooks bringing "food" from the playhouse, they just laughed and had a great time.

It was finally time for lunch, so we came in, got cleaned up, and cooked some mac & cheese (the unanimous choice every time they are at Grandma's).  They also had some Doritos and some fresh pear.  It was 1:00 before we finally had lunch, which is much later than they normally eat.  They were pretty hungry, too, after all that hard play outside.

They spent the rest of their time playing in the house.  Let's see, they had the tic-tac-toe game out - they played Barbies on the steps - Brooks decided he wanted to play Legos - Ashby played Barbies and Dancing With the Stars.  They are so funny.

Lisa finally finished all her errands and pamperings and showed up.  She had ordered a toy for Ashby the last time she was here and it had come in.  And, good timing, a toy I had ordered for Brooks came in today.  They were both excited for something new.  Eventually, Lisa was able to get them in the car and off for home.  She had company for dinner and really needed to get home to get going on it.

I was exhausted when they left, but it was so much fun.  They were both very good and there was very little sibling stress.  They actually played together most of the time.  I did rest and watch a couple of TV shows.

What a day!

No comments: