Tuesday, February 28, 2012

February 27th - Success - almost!

Today was supposed to be one of those quiet days where I didn't have too much to handle.  Part of it did turn out that way, but I also had a few other things come up.  My visiting teacher came by.  She is the RS president and has a companion that is new coming back to church, so it is a challenge for her.  So, being the end of the month, she had to come alone.  Then she called me a little bit later and said she had finally been able to set up a visit with a sister who recently had a baby and could I go with her.  So we visited and delivered a little gift.  As soon as I got home from that, I called to see if I could drop off the food order from my ward to the person in charge, which I did.

The rest of my day was at home.  That doesn't mean I didn't do anything!  I have read several books that I hadn't done reviews on yet, so I got that all caught up.  There were several other similar things that finally got taken care of, meaning I actually got to work on family history eventually!

The big news there is that I found a little more information on someone that I have working on for ages.  I still don't have everything I want, but I made progress.  I was able to confirm her birth and death dates from town records.  I can identify her by sex and age in the 1910 census under her father's name, but I can't figure out what happened to her after that.  I can find most of her brothers and sisters in 1920, 1930, 1940, and 1950, but she doesn't show up anywhere.  I just can't figure it out.  They all lived in the same place, from birth to death, and yet she isn't there.  I know she never married, so that isn't the issue.  The rest of the family was close together, so where is she?  I confirmed by the death record that she was alive until 1865.  She was buried right there.  I should be able to find her by name in 1850 and 1860 but no luck.  Ah, the joys of family history research!  Actually, searching and finding this kind of information is the most fun part of doing this work.  Ruhanna, you may hide, but I will find you eventually!


No comments: