Thursday, February 2, 2012

February 1 - Countdown to Valentine's Day! RS Presidency

So, I have decided to try another journal for the next fourteen days - this time about love.  I will try to see if I can find something that fills my heart with a feeling of love everyday.

Today I had a RS presidency meeting with three of the best people ever.  I really love this calling, and I especially love the women I work with.  We seem to be able to talk opening and freely and exchange ideas without negative feelings.  Good brainstorming can lead to innovative ideas, and we seem to be good at it.

I love that they sincerely care about the sisters in our ward.  As we discuss those with special needs, there is genuine concern about the individual and a desire to ease the problem, if we can.  It is especially noticeable as we discuss the visiting teachers and their routes.  It is a never ending shuffle to make sure that everyone is assigned as a visiting teacher and that everyone has a visiting teacher.  We spend a lot of time trying to match the companions and the lists so that everyone will be blessed.

We are a diverse group, which makes it all the more enjoyable to work together. I am the granny, of course.  Melanie, the president, is the parent of a teenager.  She very much is guided by the spirit and sees things from that point of view.  Her focus is on the sisters and their needs, and not so much on what I call the "fluff" - the pretty stuff that doesn't really change lives.  Sarah is a young mother, who struggled with infertility for a long time and is really able to voice concerns for those who may have special struggles.  She keeps us properly focused.  Jennifer, the secretary, is also a young mother, with 3 children.  She is from Paraguay originally and helps give us another perspective on things.  She is an excellent secretary, and we keep her very busy.  She is always happy and that certainly helps keep our meetings upbeat.


Individually, I admire each of them for their strong testimonies and the way they live their lives.  I may be the oldest, in both earth years and church years, but there is still so much for me to learn from them.  So I start the month of love feeling love for these very special friends.

No comments: