Thursday, January 26, 2012

January 25th - Some Not So Good News

I learned today that my friend Judith, who is in hospice, has taken a turn for the worse.  It has been two weeks since I went down to visit her and she was doing really well at that point - getting up every day, making her bed, showering on her own, etc.  We had a nice visit that day.  Since then she has been slipping, and the last few days, she has gotten much worse.

I talked to her on the phone once I got the update and she still knew who I was.  She says she is not having pain, but her nephew reports that she seems to be having quite a bit but refuses to take anything.  She did admit that she was having "some other problems."  The hospice people are trying to get her to stay in bed now, as they are concerned that she may hurt herself.  They told her family that it was time to start making "arrangements."

We only talked for a few minutes - she is obviously feeling very weak.  It is so hard to see someone going through this.   She is slipping really fast now.  I remember that Jason slipped really fast right at the end.  It is like the body finally just quits fighting.  I doubt that I will get down to see her again.

That news kind of colored the rest of my day.  I have known Judith since about 1994 or 1995, when we worked together at Genex.  She is a few months younger than I am.  She is also one of the kindest people I have ever known.  She is very much in my thoughts!

No comments: