Wednesday, May 16, 2012

May 15th - Piano Tuning

I used to take such good care of my piano, but since I hardly play it anymore, I have just let it sit and get more and more out of tune.  A cardinal rule is to tune a piano every time it is moved.  We have been in this house since 2001 and it has never been tuned since we moved!  Bad me!

Today, it finally got tuned.  I learned that a friend tunes piano.  I had not known that, but something was said on Facebook and I followed up on it.  He came to tune the piano, make some minor repairs and give me an estimate for more extensive repairs.  It turns out that it won't need as much as I thought it would - that's great news. He will come back in a week or two to do the rest of what needs to be done.

This is the piano that my mother bought after she started working when my brother and I were finally both in school.  She saved until she was able to pay cash for it.  I was ten years old and that is when I started piano lessons.  When we bought our first house in Florida, she and Dad brought it down to us in a Uhaul trailer.  That was in 1973.  I have had the piano ever since.  It is the one Lisa learned to play on.  It has been well used and has been a good quality piece.  Brian indicated that it was an excellent piano and was still in very good shape, especially being 55 years old.  I had been debating whether to keep it or if it was time to get rid of it, but I just couldn't quite part with it and now I am glad for that decision. 

Maybe Ashby will learn to play it, too!  Or Brooks, since he seems to have the rhythm.  Or maybe he will play guitar and use the piano for that - after all, we found five guitar pics inside the piano when he took it apart.  My brother, my son, and I all have played guitar sitting on that piano bench.

It is kind of fun to think of the 4th generation using the piano!  And all it needed was a little tuning and minor repairs.


2 comments:

Grams said...

If only it were that easy to fix us up!

Grandma Cantrell said...

Isn't that the truth, Joyce? A few little adjustments and the knees and hips wouldn't creak anymore - the wrinkles would be smooth - the gray would be gone - the eyesight would be perfect - etc............