Sunday, January 12, 2014

January 11th - Whew! What a Week!

I have not posted a blog all week, in case anyone noticed, because the internet has been down since Monday evening.  It was finally fixed today.  I mean - a whole week?  We had freezing temps on Monday and Tuesday, so when it went down, I just figured it was related to the cold and would be fine in the morning.  Not so.  I let the morning pass and by mid-afternoon, it was clear that it was not going to get fixed without my intervention.  After a 2 1/2 hour phone conversation with AT&T, running all their diagnostics, etc., she finally said that she would have to send an internet technician, but it would be Thursday afternoon before one was available.  I was a little irritated at that much delay, but there wasn't much I could do.  He showed up on Thursday as scheduled, checked the internet and promptly announced that there was nothing there.  Duh!  I had figured that out on Tuesday.  He was nice, though, and went out to work on the box.  After a delay where he went to get a part, he finally came back and said that it was a digital problem and they would have to send the digital guy out, but that wouldn't be until the next day.  So on Friday, the digital guy comes.  Again, he was a very nice man and he worked for quite a long time, until he thought it was fixed.  As he was sitting in his truck closing out the order, I checked it one more time and suddenly it was NOT working again!  I ran out and caught him in time.  After some more checking, he announced that it was a power problem and another guy would have to come out.  He didn't know if they would make it that afternoon or the next morning.  I guess they came out and did something, because the same guy showed up again on Saturday and spent a couple of hours working on the box in the rain and lightening.  He finally announced that there had been two problems, and when the power problem got fixed, he was then able to figure out our problem.  And "our" was not just our house, but some others that were involved as well.  Long story to just say - it seems to be fixed.  Here's hoping it lasts!

Other than waiting around for repairmen all week, I was mostly at home.  Monday, Bill's job was rescheduled, so he and I went out for lunch.  On Tuesday, it was so cold that almost everything was cancelled - like school and my water aerobics class.  On Thursday, I did go to class and it felt good to work out again. 

Friday was my birthday, so Bill and I went out to breakfast before he went to do a job.  That evening, we met Lisa and family at Provino's for a birthday dinner and then went over to their place for a little bit.  Poor Brooks has a really nasty ear infection, torn ear drum and all, and David and Bill gave him a blessing.  Then he ran around playing monster with Ashby, David and Bill.  You would never know he was sick, except for the oozing from his ear.  He had to get an antibiotic shot earlier in the day, since the previous meds had not helped and that was his great trial.  His poor hip hurt for a long time afterwards.  Hopefully, that will do the job, along with the oral meds he is on.  If not, next stop will be an ENT and the possibility of tubes.

So, I have mostly kept busy at home.  I have been using my iPhone for checking emails and FaceBook and learning a lot of things about how it works.  There have been a lot of things, though, that I really don't want to do on such a small device - like typing a blog!  Here's hoping next week is a little smoother!

No comments: