Wednesday, February 18, 2015

February 17 - Ice Storm!

We spent a good bit of the night without power.  It was on when we went to sleep, but sometime during the night it went off.  I always know right away when we lose power, because my CPAP machine stops.  But, with no power, the clocks also stopped so I have no idea what time it was.  And I didn't care enough to get up and find out!

When we finally got up, there was still no power.  It was starting to get a bit chilly, so I just put sweats on over my PJ's.  As it turned out, the ice was pretty bad on things, but not so much on the roads, so they were clear by 9:00 or so.  Bill called his scheduled job to make sure they had power and then went off to work as usual, just a little late.

There was still no internet and I finally called later in the day.  There was a major outage in our area and they said it would be fixed by around 10:00 this evening.  That didn't happen, though, as it was still out when I went to bed.

At least the power came back on by around 10:00 this morning.  I can cook without power with the gas stove.  I just have to use a match to light the burners.  The heater, though, doesn't work without electricity.  Bill made sure there was plenty of firewood so I could do a fire if it got too cold.  But, it came on quick enough that I was OK.

Of course, I couldn't do anything on the computer.  I did a few other odds and ends and then just sat in the big chair and watched some HGTV and fell asleep.  I didn't sleep well after the power went out, because I didn't have the CPAP machine.  That means I keep waking up and never get into the good sleep.  I just made up for it in the afternoon!

This was one of those ice storms that didn't do a lot of real damage.  There are lots of tree branches down and some complete trees and, of course, power lines.  One friend had a tree go down that brushed the corner of their house, but did not break through the ceiling or wall.  It stayed cold all day, so the ice did not melt.  It was actually quite pretty.  The trees look like they are coated in crystal or glass and when the sun peeks out, they glimmer and shine.  But it never warmed up enough to melt any of it.  We will see what tomorrow brings!

No comments: