Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Thinking of Jason on his birthday


We just had a great extended weekend in Balsam, North Carolina, with Lisa, David, & Ashby. Tuesday was our last day and as Lisa and David took off, I felt overwhelmingly sad. I went and sat in the porch swing on the front porch, looking out over the beautiful mountains with the fall leaves in brilliant color. Bill walked over and sensed I was having one of "those moments." After letting him know that I was thinking of Jason, he sat with me. It would have been Jason's 31st birthday.


We talked about some of our best memories of him. Bill told of how proud he was of Jason the summer he worked on staff at Woodruff Boy Scout Camp. He had been late to be added to the staff and so was given the least favorite job at camp - cleaning the mess hall. Bill arrived a little early one Saturday to pick him up for a night at home and watched as Jason stood by the garbage and helped the younger scouts clean their plates. He smiled the whole time, giving attention to each scout as he came by. He worked hard, never "messing" around, and Bill's heart puffed up with pride as he watched him. Apparantly the adult staff noticed as well, as they soon gave him assignments with greater responsibility.

My memories tend to be more of when he was little. I remember holding him on my arm when he was just a year or so old. I can still remember the way his leg felt as I held him. He was always a skinny one and there was a certain feel to his legs. He stayed thin as he grew up, but was not scrawny. In fact, those legs became very muscular, making him a great runner.

We talked about many other memories, cried together, and laughed as we always do when we begin to talk about Jason stories. It will be ten years in November since we lost him, but he continues to fill our lives. We feel very blessed to have been chosen as parents for such a wonderful young man, who touched so many lives during his short 21 years.

We love and miss you, Jason!

1 comment:

Sha nay nay said...

I just wanted to leave a memory or two that I have. Because you guys lived so close, I remember him taking me to a BYC meeting and he had socks with his sandals and he drove with no shoes, but had them close enough to slip on in case he got caught. I was shocked that anyone would do that. For a long time after I learned to drive I would always think about that as I drove barefoot and hoped I never got pulled over. Haha.

I just really remember him as such a sweet guy that seemed to have no anger or malice at all, even when a young awkward girl would talk to him. He was always so nice and encouraging. He was my belay on my first rock climbing trip and I was scared to death that not only would I fall, but that he wouldn't be able to hold my weight if I did. I may not have made it the entire way up that rock wall, but I knew that other people were there to encourage me and help me make it and he was one of them.

You have done such a wonderful job raising your children. I don't know Billy, but I think Lisa turned out amazing as well. She was always that beautiful girl I was in awe of. So sweet and kind and drop dead gorgeous!