Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Genealogy Day

Had a fun day yesterday. While Billy was at work, I drove over to Poweshiek County, about an hour from Cedar Rapids. I went to the courthouse in Montezuma to look for some records - found a couple. Then I went out into the country north of Grinnell looking for the Chester Township Cemetery. I eventually found it.

This is the area of Iowa where my great-grandparents was born. My great-grandmother was Cora Bell Wesco and her parents (Reuben Wesco and Nancy Jane Wilson) were both born in Ohio, moved to Iowa, and were married there. My great-grandfather was Hiram Joshua Bacon and his parents (Joshua Crane Bacon and Mary Jane Humphrey) were born in Vermont and New York, respectively. They also moved to Iowa and were married there.

I already had some death records that I had gotten years ago, so I was looking for some other things. I was able to find my great-grandparents marriage record. I have struggled with finding the name of the mother of Nancy Jane Wilson. I have found some clues that it may have been Elizabeth J., unknown maiden name. I found a death record for her, as well. I still need to make a clear connection, however.

At the cemetery, I found the graves of the Wesco's and the Bacon's (my great great-grandparents), as well as some of their children. I took pictures and notes.

As usually happens, I ran out of time before I ran out of places to go. All in all, though, it was a fun day.

No comments: