Sunday, November 16, 2008

Talking in Sacrament Meetings

Well, I got caught today - I had to speak in two wards! When I was serving in the Stake Relief Society, I was often asked by a member of the high council to accompany him as the second speaker. However, for the last year and a half I have not been asked. Well, one of them figured out that I still had a stake calling and that meant I was eligible to be asked.

So, today I had to speak at two wards. My stake has gone to the policy of having the high councilmen speak at each unit that meets in a building. It is a good plan because of the distances that have to be traveled. This way one trip will take care of two meetings. However, it also means that you have to give a talk twice.

The thing is, I write out a talk completely. That way I have a record of what I talked about. Then when I give the talk, I speak it rather than read it, so there is still the element of the spirit directing. The first talk went fine, but when it was time for the second, I was kind of curious about what I was going to say. Fortunately, that one went fine, too, but they were not exactly the same talk.

I was assigned to use a First Presidency Message from October 2000 by President James E. Faust entitled "Our Search for Happiness." It was a great article and a pretty easy topic. I was also able to include some discussion of my public affairs calling, as service was one of the things President Faust talked about.

The Stake President also happened to be attending both of those wards today, so hopefully he won't suggest to anyone else that I am available. With luck, I can slip into obscurity again for another year and a half!

No comments: